Monday, September 14, 2009

Select

... a book off the shelf at the library at random. Close your eyes and grab a book, any book. I'd suggest keeping your eyes open until you're standing across from a full book shelf. Otherwise, you might inadvertently pull some librarian's hair. They're not known to be a lighthearted bunch.

Read the book and tell us what you think. Even if it looks boring. You might be surprised and gain new life-changing insights, or you might find it sublimely worthless, a waste of time and who's bright idea was this random book thing anyway? Geesh! verb living, my .... whatever, just do it.

P.S. When I searched for a library photo to add here I came across the "Cave bookshelf." Cool.

6 comments:

  1. So, I picked two: Raising Boys by Steve Biddulph (probably would have picked up anyway) and The Book of Art: Chinese and Japanese Art (probably would NOT have picked up). I'll let you know how reading goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ended up with The American Painter by Emma Dial. I'll let you know if its any good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know a smidgeon more about Chinese and Japanese art than I did prior to this "verb." Especially interesting was the section of western influence on Chinese art--it made the differences overall more apparent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a book dropped at my door (for book group) perfect timing. The book was Wednesday wars... it is a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, this is a little funny. I read a romance novel, and now I can't even remember the title. I also don't remember the author. Slightly embarrassing, I became addicted to it and stayed up really late to finish it. It was an addicting story and one that I never would have picked up without this blog. However, it is also a genre that doesn't stick with you for very long and I don't usually feel good after I finish one. Anyway, it was a good experience to get out of my comfort zone and it did remind me that there are a lot of valuable books in the library that I never think to pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some good books out there. Lindsey, I'm glad I'm not the only one who forgets titles and authors almost as soon as I finish it! I found interesting your description of how you felt after putting the book down--that's a good barometer of quality, don't you think? Or at least, personal preferences. Maybe it's a good thing to listen to whenever we finish books or movies: How did it make you feel finishing it? Upbeat and thoughtful? Or, depressed and empty. Even a depressing story can leave you upbeat if it opens your mind to new things or shares the story in an impacting way.

    ReplyDelete