Monday, July 27, 2009

Get


... out of the zone -- the comfort zone, that is. It doesn't have to be grand--like hang-gliding for someone with acrophobia (fear of heights) or cooking a big Italian meal for the alliumphobic (fear of garlic). (Phobia verbiage compliments of http://www.phobialist.com/.) It can be simple, like wearing a colorful scarf or hat even though you usually leave that to the perceived fashion elite. Or trying your hand at a gourmet recipe.

Do something this week out of your comfort zone and come back to share your experience. With your permission, I'd love to include a couple examples in a lesson on the same subject I'm giving to my church women's group this Sunday. Go get out of your zone!

1 comment:

  1. In the last couple weeks I: baked bread, wore a colorful/patterned skirt. Both things I am not comfortable doing. Also, in my early thirties I picked up a new sport and in his early sixties my dad took up singing in a community choir. We've decided AT LEAST every 30 years you need to take a big leap out of your comfort zone and be humbled.

    My experience: a trusted friend invited me to come play soccer with a bunch of moms. It was started by a couple gals who just wanted to be outside and get some exercise. I love playing sports, but I am painfully mediocre at all of them. So, it took a lot of guts to show up since my soccer career consists of a couple PE classes in junior high. On the first day, I realized some of the women were not your average “soccer moms,” and I said as much to my friend. “Oh, yeah … some of them played in college,” she said. Here I was in the middle of a soccer field between the goal box and an experienced athlete with that glint in her eye. I was NOT in my comfort zone. I was close to tears a couple times. After the game, I shared my insecurities with my friend expecting some sympathy. She said: “Yeah. But so, what? Keep coming.” I complained some more, and got some of the best advice I’ve ever received: “You’ll get over it.” I also found that one of the best players there is also the most encouraging, she cheers you on with supreme patience. I want to be more like her.

    ReplyDelete