Monday, February 1, 2010

Post

... a not-so-flattering photo online. Come on, admit it. When you post a photo on Facebook (blog, etc.), you scrutinize it: Is that my good side? Is my hair doing that weird swoopy thing? Any zits? Only select photos pass the test. It's like you're declaring to the world (and those old high school friends): "I am not embarrassed to look this way. In fact, I would go to the store looking like this." They can make their judgements from there.

I love personality photos and people who have the guts to share them. Halloween costumes, funny faces, crying babies. The polished family photos complete with newly whitened teeth are nice, but I also like to see how people look just before and after they have the formal photo session. You know, the kids wiping dirt on their new sweaters; the wife's head resting on her hubby's shoulder; the life moments. May be humbling, but it feels authentic. And, it helps us remember no one is perfect. The people I like and look up to most aren't perfect. They're real.

So, your verb this week is to post a not-so-flattering photo somewhere online. It'll be good for you, and us.

4 comments:

  1. I'm ahead of the game on this one thanks to my sister. She posted a no-makeup, workclothes shot of me working in my Dad's woodshop--even had sawdust in my nose. A bit humbling, but cool. I'm looking for that one I have of her when her lip swelled up from an allergic reaction making her remarkably duck-like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made sure to destroy any evidence of such an allergy. Come to think of it, I've never had an allergic reaction like that. Just try to prove it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, whether I like it or not, people post plenty of non-flattering photos of me on Facebook. Just look at our recent yurt trip and Jenni Prue's pictures of our "shaking faces". They're just lovely. But I agree with what you said, Jenn; "The people I like and look up to the most aren't perfect. They're real". You're one of those people for me. . . sawdust-up-the-nose photos and all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. KimJo: You are our winner for not punching the person in the face who posted your "shaking faces" photo. That is, hands down, one of the best/worst Facebook photos. I told Jodie, "I'm glad I know Kim, so I know she doesn't look like that normally."

    ReplyDelete